Moments of Joy
As we gallop to the end of yet another year in the hope that things are winding down I find my heart quickens and my breathing shallows as I realise just what I need to get through before I’m officially on leave. I realise that Tash has her Grade 6 exams ahead and these exam results will be counted and considered for her high school application and I find myself holding my breath. It gets a little uncomfortable and I have to tell myself – breathe.
This weekend I had some moments of joy and on reflection I realise that when we take the time to reflect on them, they are happening all the time. We just need to be open to seeing them.
Here are some of my weekend moments of joy:
1. Watching a butterfly dry her wings and take her first maiden flight
2. Words from Tash, “Mom, I need more hugs.”
3. Biting into a chilli popper
4. Watching Tash and her friend get ready for their first ever double date at the movies with two boys from Youth group.
5. Watching Tash at a birthday party making up a mocktail and seeing the guy judges ask for another sip as it tasted good
6. Watching Tash and her friends in a little play they put together – her character Mr FlutterButter had everyone in stitches
7. Attempting to make myself up into a She-Devil for a Halloween party and really laughing at myself in the mirror
8. Waking up without an alarm on Sunday morning and stretching cat-like from my sleep
9. Reading in bed for an hour uninterrupted
And then this morning when I got to work I found a little Tupperware with a square of chocolate and a note from Tash. Totally heart melting.
Here’s Mr Flutterbutter and bride
The butterfly, she was on a leaf on my windscreen wiper
What are some of your recent moments of joy?